The Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž is part of the Kroměříž Archbishop's Palace. This was the principal residence of the bishops and since 1777, the archbishops of Olomouc. The gardens and castle are located at the foot of the Chriby mountain range, in the central part of Moravia. They are an exceptionally complete and well-preserved example of European Baroque residence.
The earliest castle at the site was built by Bishop Stanislas Thurzo in 1497. It was in the Late Gothic style. It was rampaged by the Swedish army during the Thirty Years' War in 1643. In 1664, the Bishop from the Liechtenstein family employed architect Filiberto Lucchese to renovate the palace in the Baroque style. The chief feature of the renovation was the creation of the Pleasure Garden in front of the castle.
A major fire gutted the castle in 1752. During its restoration, works by two imperial artists, Franz Anton Maulbertsch and Josef Stern, were added the the castle's collection, which is the second finest in the country. The castle also houses a library with 33,000 volumes of manuscripts and music notes.
The Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž were inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site during the 22nd session of the World Heritage Committee which took place in Kyoto, Japan, on 30 November to 5 December, 1998.
Photos of Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž
Kromeriz Archbishop Palace, Czech Republic
Author: Marzper (Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported)
World Heritage Site Inscription Details
Location: N 49 17 60 E 17 22 38 in the city of Kroměříž, Czech Republic
Inscription Year: 1998
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: II, IV
Location Map of Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž
View Gardens and Castle at Kromeriz, Czech Republic in a larger map
Visiting Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž
Kroměříž can be reached by train. Take the train to Brno, and from there take the bus from Brno. The Archbishop's Palace is located just off the msin square, and can be visited on foot. You have to follow a guided tour to explore the site.