James Island, Gambia
Author: Niels Elgaard Larsen (Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported)
James Island is an island on the River Gambia. It is the site where European established a settlement as early as the 16th century. The earliest settlers were Baltic Germans who named it St Andrews Island. The settlers erected a fort which they named after Fort James, after James Kettler, Duke of Courland.
When the British took over the island in 1664, they renamed Fort James as well as James Island after James, the Duke of York, who later ascended the throne of England as King James II. In the subsequent centuries the fort changed hands between the British and the French. It served as an important trading post for African slaves until its abandonment in 1870.
James Island was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site during the 26th session of the World Heritage Committee meeting in Paris, France on 30 June to 5 July, 2003. The inscribed site reads "James Island and Related Sites" because it includes the Six-Gun Battery built in 1816 and Fort Bullen built in 1826, located on either sides of the mouth of the River Gambia.
Photos of James Island
James Island in the Gambia
Author: Jose Canedo (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 1.0 Generic)
World Heritage Site Inscription Details
Location: N 13 18 58.2 W 16 21 25.9
Inscription Year: 2003
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: III, VI
Location Map of James Island
James Island is number 1 on the map.
View UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Gambia in a larger map