Pilgrimage Church of St John of Nepomuk, Czech Republic
Author: Anna Prokopová (Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic)
The Church of St. John of Nepomuk is a pilgrimage church in Zelená Hora (also known as Gruneberg), in Žd'ár nad Sázavou, Czech Republic. It was designed by maverick Bohemian architect Jan Santini Aichel, and is regarded as his final masterpiece. With this church, the architect incorporates elements of Gothic design into the Borrominiesque Baroque style.
Construction of the Church of St John was begun in 1719, when the Roman Catholic Church declared that the tongue of John of Nepomuk to be "incorruptible". The church was consecrated immediately after John of Nepomuk was beatified in 1720. However construction work progressed until 1727. A big fire caused serious damaged half a century later, and this has resulted in the modification to the shape of the roof.
The Church of St. John of Nepomuk was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site during the 18th session of the World Heritage Committee which met in Phuket, Thailand, on 12-17 December, 1994.
World Heritage Site Inscription Details
Location: N 49 34 48.72 E 15 56 31.41
Inscription Year: 1994
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: IV
Location Map of Church of St. John of Nepomuk
View Church of St John of Nepomuk in a larger map
Visiting Church of St. John of Nepomuk
There are direct trains linking Žd'ár nad Sázavou to Prague. It takes about 2 hours 30 minutes to get there. From the town centre, you can take a bus to visit the pilgrimage Church of St. John.