The Castle of Augustusburg is the opulent residence of the prince-archbishops of Cologne while the Castle of Falkenlust is a hunting lodge. Together, they represent some of the earliest examples of Rococo architecture in 18th century Germany. They are located in the town of Brühl in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Augustusburg and Falkenlust were built by Clemens August of Bavaria (1700-1761), the Archbishop-Elector of Cologne. They were designed by architects Johann Conrad Schlaun and François de Cuvilliés. The Castle of Augustusburg has a grand staircase designed by Johann Balthasar Neumann. It has an extensive garden designed by Dominique Girard. Located not far from Bonn, Augustusburg was used as a reception hall for guests of state by the German president from after World War II until 1994.
The Castle of Falkenlust was built between 1729 and 1740. It was modelled after the Amalienborg hunting lodge in the Nymphenburg Palace by François de Cuvilliés.
Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Brühl was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site during the 8th session of the World Heritage Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from 29 October to 2 November, 1984.
Photos of Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Brühl
Schloss Augustusburg, Brühl, Germany
Author: Thomas Robbin (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0)
Schloss Falkenlust, Brühl, Germany
Author: Stefan Didam (Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 Generic)
World Heritage Site Inscription Details
Location: N 50 49 30.1 E 6 54 35.2
Inscription Year: 1984
Type of Site: Cultural
Inscription Criteria: II, IV
Location Map of Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Brühl
to be added soon.
Visiting Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust at Brühl
Brühl is located within the suburb of Cologne.